A site rich in history
Williams Landing takes its name from the historic aviation base on which it is located, RAAF Williams airfield. It's named after Air Marshal Sir Richard Williams, the man many regard as the ‘father’ of the Royal Australian Air Force.
Whilst operations officially ceased at RAAF Williams Airfield in September 1996, the departure of a single jet Vampire from the airfield in February 1998 effectively signified the end of the airfield’s longstanding service to the RAAF.
Over the course of its 70-year history with the RAAF the airfield was home to numerous Squadrons and was used by all manner of aircraft including; Hawker, Demons, Beauforts, Hercules, Anson A4-1s, Wapitis, Bristol Bulldog fighters and jets such as Vampires, Sabres, Meteors and Canberras. During the Second World War the airfield played an important protective role against enemy attack on Australia’s south-eastern coastline.
In later years, up until its closure, the RAAF Williams continued to play a part in the RAAF’s operations as well as staging large scale air displays.
- 1920 160-acre site acquired to develop Laverton airbase.
- 1926 No 1 Aircraft Depot relocates to Laverton. Primary purpose assembly, testing and delivery of new aircraft.
- 1927 Three aircrafts - one of them piloted by Sir Richard Williams - depart Laverton airbase in July on a journey around Australia, flying 11,890 miles and visiting 48 locations.
- 1929 First test flight of Westland Wapiti.
- 1930 First test flight of British Bulldog single seat fighter.
- 1935 Test flight of the first Australian assembled Moth.
- North Australian Survey flight party departs on April 29, returning September 16 after flying 80,000 kilometres and photographing 8,900 square kilometres. The largest aerial work ever undertaken by the RAAF.
- 1936 No 21 Squadron formed.
- 1939 No 12 Squadron formed.
- 1943 1 Air Performance Unit formed to undertake full scale flight testing.
- 1980 Air Marshal Sir Richard Williams dies. He is properly remembered and honoured as the 'Father' of the Royal Australian Air Force.
- 1996 Operations cease at the airfield.
- 2008 Site has suburb renamed as Williams Landing
- 2008 Civil construction commences
- 2009 First residents move in
- 2010 Train station and freeway connection commences
- 2013 Williams Landing Train Station and Palmers Rd freeway connection opened
- 2013 Masters Home Improvement store opens
- 2014 Williams Landing Shopping Centre opens
- 2015 Newton Apartments, the first apartment building in Williams Landing starts selling.
- 2016 Newton Apartments 100% sold after being on market for 7 months.
- 2016 Shopping Centre expansion complete, including Future Kids childcare centre, with new retailers commencing operations in early 2017.
- 2016 Oxford Apartments, the second apartment building in Williams Landing starts selling.
Find out more about Williams Landing